I’m currently doing a masters in Advanced Computer Science at St Andrews, specialising in Artificial Intelligence – the most exciting field in the world! I am looking for research opportunities in AI and machine learning from September 2018 onwards, particularly in AI safety.
- Python, Pandas, SKLearn
- Exceptional time management, organisation and leadership ability.
- Extensive creative problem solving experience.
September 2017 – August 2018
- Distinction achieved in every assignment to date.
- Proctor’s Award for Teaching Excellence Nominee.
- Modules: Object Oriented Programming, Modelling and Design; Artificial Intelligence Principles; Artificial Intelligence Practice; Interactive Software and Hardware; Machine Learning; Visual Analytics; Data, Ethics & Privacy.
- Upcoming: Master’s thesis in deep learning and computer vision.
September 2016 – July 2017
Various online courses and certifications, including:
- Covered core CS principles & data structures, implemented a range of programs in C, including a Vigenère cipher encryptor, a web server, a program to recover deleted images and a stock trading website using C, PHP and MySQL, built a decision maker web application for final project.
September 2009 – June 2012
Fine Art BA Hons 2:1, Margaret Street School of Art, Birmingham City University
- Oil painting and drafting in ink on themes of parallel universes and the uncanny.
- Showed work in local and national galleries. Curated and promoted local exhibitions.
January 2018 – Present
Effective Altruism St Andrews AGI Forum Officer
- Promote effective altruism and EA events within the community, support the committee in decision making and planning.
- Founded and continue to run a weekly Artificial General Intelligence academic reading group, facilitating interdisciplinary discussion of AI research and risks.
February 2018 – April 2018
RAISE AI Safety Research Camp AI Safety Researcher
- Joint work with Karol Kubicki, Gavin Leech and Tom McGrath. Implemented RL agents to explore AI safety in gridworlds, extending existing work. Extended Deepmind’s pycolab engine with several new side effects environments. Code.
December 2016 – September 2017
July 2012 – May 2017
- Built successful online design business, working for a wide range of international clients in web design, branding, illustration, publishing and technical artwork.
- Planned complex short and long term projects, leading small teams of freelancers across several time zones and developing excellent organisation, time management and communication skills.
- Consistently attained glowing recommendations, proving commitment to quality work and attention to detail.
July 2012 – May 2017
- Created a vegan t-shirt brand.
- Made a kickstarter-funded book of illustrations of Manhattan’s urban myths.
- Wrote a book about how to start a freelance career from scratch.
- Built a weight loss calculator web app with the help of the MyFitnessPal community.
- Started a popular website about digital nomad work and lifestyle.
September 2010 – November 2013
Art & Design Tutor
- Developed and taught an art and design curriculum to homeschooled teenagers.
- Created and taught a wildly successful weekly life drawing class in a Birmingham pub.
December 2009 – July 2012
PKA Manager & Kickboxing Instructor
- Managed the PKA (Professional Kickboxing Association) headquarters and increased membership sales tenfold, launched two additional satellite clubs, taught kickboxing and self defence to adults and kids.